Emily DiGaetano, class of 2020, is majoring in Graphic Design and minoring in Photography at Susquehanna University. She is a member of the field hockey team, Bee Club, Her Campus, and Circle K.
Bobby Grigas ia a Junior Environmental Studies Major at Susquehanna University. He is on the SU baseball team and assists in youth baseball camps in his hometown. The highlight for him is speaking to the campers about the importance of education, not sports, in their futures.
1. Is this advice you have heard before, or was it new information?
2. Have you tried to follow any of the advice given in these pieces? How did it go?
3. What piece of advice was the most useful?
4. What is something that you have learned about college so far that was not presented in this text?
1. In the second week of classes, write a letter for yourself in the future (to open at the end of the semester) about your college experience so far.
Two actors: Bobby, Roommate
Bobby: (sitting on bed) OK it’s 8:00 pm, guess I’d better start my homework.
Roommate: Good luck with that. I’m going to the gym. (exits, Bobby starts working)
Roommate (reenters): How’s it going?
Bobby (yawning): I can’t really concentrate. What time is it?
Bobby: Oh man, I still have 3 more chapters to read and a lab report to write.
Roommate: Huh. Want some coffee?
Bobby: I guess. I’ll take a break and go get some. (exits)
Bobby (reenters): OK, I’m wide awake now! (sees that roommate has fallen asleep). Oh well, let’s see if I can finish all this (looks at phone) 11:30- I guess I got sidetracked getting my coffee . . .
Skit contributed by Dr. Jennifer Sacher-Wiley and Samantha Schwarz
Phillip Winger is Vice President and Chief of Staff of Susquehanna University. He also teaches Perspectives and serves as a mentor and academic advisor for undeclared students.